Funny Blood was founded by Ruby Edwards in 2009 when her son – Noah – was diagnosed with a number of complex PFDs as well as Thrombocytopenia. Since then, Ruby has dedicated her time to raising awareness of PFDs in order to help Noah and others living with the condition. She has raised awareness by :
- appearing on BBC Breakfast TV and BBC Midlands Today,
- meeting with David Cameron, PM at 10 Downing Street,
- meeting with MPs at the Houses of Parliament,
- featuring on BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester and BBC Radio West Midlands,
- mentoring business students at the University of Worcester (2013-2016),
- taking part in NHS Blood and Transplant‘s Christmas Campaign 2014,
- guest speaker for NHS Blood and Transplant‘s Donor Awards 2015, and
- providing guest blogs to MarisWorld.com and Britain’s biggest parent network BritMums.com.
Ruby also led efforts to raise money to support those working with families suffering from PFDs and provided :
- ongoing funding for the Haemophilia Unit at at Birmingham Children’s Hospital,
- Reloved Toys to the Haemophilia Unit at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, and
- a care-worker for Contact a Family; the only national charity that exists to support the families of disabled children.
In 2012, Ruby was invited to join the Worcestershire Ambassadors and was also made an Ambassador for Contact a Family.
On 11 March 2013, Funny Blood became a Charitable Trust raising funds for research into PFDs. This Charity was renamed on 27 July 2014 and Funny Blood is no longer associated with it.
Ruby’s ongoing aim is to raise awareness of PFDs and signpost information to support families living with the little-known condition. Funny Blood also raises money for the Haemophilia Unit at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, to support the ongoing care of local children like Noah. So, monies raised go towards something positive and tangible to support sufferers directly.
If you’d like to join in with our efforts to support our local Haemophilia Units, please do get in touch via our Contact page.
2009, Our Story in Pictures
2010, Our Story in Pictures
2011, Our Story in Pictures
2012, Our Story in Pictures
2013, Our Story in Pictures